Re: [gNewSense-users] ipw2200 is free software?

From: Vim Visual
Subject: Re: [gNewSense-users] ipw2200 is free software?
Date: Thu, 16 Nov 2006 14:04:36 +0100

http://www.openbsd.org/cgi-bin/man.cgi?query=iwi&arch=i386&sektion=4

2006/11/16, Dennis Kibbe <address@hidden>:
On Thu, 2006-11-16 at 12:49 +0100, Vim Visual wrote:
> what I don't understand is why people prefer blobs to reversed
> drivers, like OpenBSD is doing... for your card you'd probably just
> have to adapt the iwi driver released by OpenBSD in their latest
> version (4.0)

Well, it's an issue of educating people isn't it?  I'm sure 99% don't
know why they would want Free Software and of that I'd guess a large
percent wouldn't care once Freedom is explained to them.

People who have never used anything but a proprietary OS don't "see" the
freedoms they are missing.

Second, thanks for pointing out the BSD drivers.  Are they drop in
replacements for the firmware?

Dennisk