Re: [gNewSense-users] Alternative Install CD

From: Atanu Datta
Subject: Re: [gNewSense-users] Alternative Install CD
Date: Wed, 15 Nov 2006 07:12:01 +0530

woops! I forgot to remove Dylan's email and put the gnewsense addy when I clicked on reply... my appologies....

On 15/11/06, Dylan Knight Rogers <address@hidden> wrote:
I would like to request that an Alternative Install CD be developed, as not all computers can use the Live CD.

Perhaps, we should stop using the Live CD, as the Alt. Install is quicker and is a guaranteed method for gNewSense installation.  I'd like to be able to put gNewSense on my IBM ThinkPad T22.

I agree! Not that I've anything against Live CDs, in fact, live CDs tend to install the OS a lot quicker. But Ubuntu's Live CD installer is rather stupid. For example in the partition chooser screen... if u happen to have a lot of partitions, because of a missing scroll bar the Forward/OK button (along with half the other partitions) is not even visible. The way I had to get around it was to detach the second hdd and then restart, and afterwards attach it back in. On the other hand, the live installer from Mandriva (which PCLinuxOS also uses) is very stable, snappy and faster compared to Ubuntu's. It's much more logically defined and gives u much more options and control. However, I do understand the Mdv installer's possible dependence on the Drake utilities.  Though the good thing is every software even produced by Mandriva is  straightaway released under GPL.

While I also understand it maybe would take some effort to integrate it with a non-Mandriva-derived distro; so only once the community gets stronger we can look into it as a viable alternative. :) Meanwhile, I guess Dylan's suggestion for the alt install CD is better option.

regards
Madcap