Re: [gNewSense-users] Re: free is not sufficient

From: rek2GNU/Linux
Subject: Re: [gNewSense-users] Re: free is not sufficient
Date: Tue, 14 Nov 2006 20:18:57 -0600

now that you clear it up I agree, maybe you are right, we should stick to have a distro for
Free Software activist/advocates/like minded..... you name it..

Chris Fernandez.
http://www.binaryfreedom.info

Jorge Rodríquez wrote:
rek2GNU/Linux escribió:
first of all let me explain that I am from Spain, living in Boston so my English is rusty and I talk in spanish like 90% of the day since lot of people talk Spanish here in Boston :-)
now with that out of the way:

I have to agree with you that we should let the user choose to be a "slave" or not, as long the software we provide is Free Software we have nothing to worry about, hmm is like a security tool, you can use it in many ways, to us to package it and give it with the distribution cause is free software wont mean that someone is going to use it for evil doing.. and even if they do is their choice.. hope I get my point out. now if this package was not free then.. of course is not going into the system, wine case is free software so I vote that we indeed should include it also Samba. Samba sometimes is usefull in many ways and that don't means people is *only* going to use it to connect to non-free systems.. some people like to use samba between GNU/Linux systems and others.

Chris Fernandez

I have to agree with you that we should let the user choose to be a "slave" or not

according to I see it, the question is much easy.

People have the freedom to use windows, mac, ubuntu… nobody has the
obligation to use gns. But gns is not for "slaves", is for free mans.
That wine is not in the repositories does not prevent a user to obtain
it by other means. To include wine in the repositories signify to think
that the users of gns might to need a “windows emulator”.

Whitch is the target user of gsn? the normal user of “linux” will not
use gns.
The philosophy of gns is radical, is not “open source”, is for radical
users (like I)

We do not remain by halves, is my opinion.

Sorry for my bad English.