Re: [gNewSense-users] Stop. Artwork Time!

From: Dave Crossland
Subject: Re: [gNewSense-users] Stop. Artwork Time!
Date: Thu, 9 Nov 2006 18:41:57 +0000

On 09/11/06, Michael Kaye <address@hidden> wrote:
> basically, the overall look. Will it be
> spirals? Trees? Flames? Glassy?

I think the login screen, with the elephants, is outstanding. I think
it may be an idea to follow the 'nature' feel, with the same sort of
colours, and colour-saturation. This may be effective because of the
current focus on 'green' issues, and could emphasise the 'friendly'
aspect of gNewSense and that it is for the greater good.

My intuitive understanding of gNewSense is that it is
Ubuntu-without-compromising-on-freedom. That is, it will have the same
focus on novice users as Ubuntu, but a real effort to educate them
about why valuing freedom is important.

The two words that sum up the reasons free software is important to be
100% with are: Ethics and Sustainability.

I think these are flush with an Africa (subsaharan?) theme.

The 'Sustainability' angle can certainly leverage its 'green'
ecosustainablity heritage.

There are a couple of green Murrine already:

http://img180.imageshack.us/img180/4255/schermataxe2.jpg
http://img143.imageshack.us/img143/2165/430731qh9.png

Can anyone explain the origins of the existing artwork?

--
Regards,
Dave