Re: [gNewSense-users] CD writing support

From: Brian Brazil
Subject: Re: [gNewSense-users] CD writing support
Date: Wed, 8 Nov 2006 15:42:05 +0000

On 11/8/06, Karl Goetz <address@hidden> wrote:
Markus Laire wrote:
> Hello,
> After learning about gNewSense I was pleased to learn that you have
> removed all the problematic firmware from the Linux Kernel.
cool eh? :)

> Still, there is another serious problem - CD writing - which I'd like
> to discuss.
>
> CD writing in gNewSense seems to be handled by cdrecord, but IMHO it
> should be removed from the project ASAP because you don't have a valid
> license to distribute it. (In fact, most likely nobody has.)
[Trim lots of relevant stuff]
The gns 1.0 code base is ubuntu dapper, so there are several things that
are 'imperfect'[1].
i believe that gns will follow distros like Fedora (its released, but
there will be updates to software, in this case increases in freedom).

Well, the first thing to do is to ascertain if it's non-free. If so
we'll remove it.

suppose this means that these things will be fixed, as soon as brian/the
devs are happy the changes are sustainable.

Putting in a replacement is a seperate issue. Based on my initial
reading, this is a licensing mess and a replacement of with an earlier
version isn't easily possible.

Brian