[gNewSense-users] Stop. Artwork Time!

From: Viper550
Subject: [gNewSense-users] Stop. Artwork Time!
Date: Tue, 07 Nov 2006 20:26:41 -0500

Hello, if anyone remembers me from ubuntu-art, ubuntu-devel, or ubuntu-desktop, good for you! But if you don't, noting the "Viper550" in the To line is an excellent statement on who I am! (or, hi, I'm Viper550, I've worked with Ubuntu alot)...

I've got an excellent way of producing artwork for this new all free Ubuntu fork you are producing here...well...actually it's what Frank Schoep (our artist-in-chief for Edgy) used for Ubuntu 6.10's process actually. Going along with what he says "Artwork is a feature which should not be allowed to negatively affect the distribution/product". Right now, all you've got is Human and a different wallpaper...but that is going to change after we're through with this!

Our simple plan will lead us through 4 stages...

Ponder:

This cycle phase consists entirely to determine the general artistic direction for a given release. The result of this cycle should be a relatively short listing of concepts that will lead the direction of all artistic driven elements. So, basically, the overall look. Will it be spirals? Trees? Flames? Glassy?

Propose:

Having gathered a finite listing of guidelines from the first cycle, the team is now free to send in submissions that meet these underlying requirements.

Submissions should be loose. Scans of paper napkins from the night before (or similar rough work :D ) are encouraged.

-Keep ideas flexible enough to cooperate or stimulate others.
-Don't exert any more effort than is necessary to communicate the desired look and feel.

Produce:

Submissions should now be centered around the direction taken. Based on the evaluation of the team members, each of these distinct vantages on the propositions are distilled into a small handful of candidates. Filter and evolve relevant prospects.

Polish:

This cycle sees the entire batch of new artwork attain a polished level of professionalism. All art should be considered at this juncture with care taken to not over-exert resources on low priority items.

If you want to be technical, I shall act as your "artist-in-chief", and we will be utilizing the wiki for all our work (If it worked for Ubuntu, it will work for us!)

So, you think this will work good?

Viper550