[gNewSense-users] Beauty of the GPL

From: Peter Rock
Subject: [gNewSense-users] Beauty of the GPL
Date: Tue, 07 Nov 2006 07:38:52 +0100

> Message: 8
> Date: Tue, 07 Nov 2006 13:32:15 +1030
> From: Karl Goetz <address@hidden>
> Subject: Re: [gNewSense-users] Request for information for my review
>       of      gNewSense

> We cant restrict the practice in licences - that's the beauty of the
> gpl.

Indeed. The GPL is a license based on reasonable demands given the
current landscape of copyright law. If the GPL even tried to restrict
the practice of installing 3rd-party proprietary software, those who call FS
supporters religious zealots would actually have a point.

Furthermore, it would be self-defeating for those situations where installation
is needed in order to reverse-engineer and produce a free version. :)

Peter Rock.
(http://gnuosphere.blogspot.com)