Re: [gNewSense-users] vrms

From: Andrew Wigglesworth
Subject: Re: [gNewSense-users] vrms
Date: Tue, 7 Nov 2006 01:30:07 +0000

On Monday 06 November 2006 22:13, Vim Visual wrote:
> Hi,
>
> there are a couple of things I don't understand
>
> 1- why is the kernel 2.6.15? (is 2.6.18.2 by now)
> 2- why not having the latest vim (7.0)?
> 3- OpenOffice is also a bit outdated and many other packages
>
> A package I would include per default is vrms. It's the perfect tool
> to find ou how many packages are free or not in your box (Virtual
> Richard M Stallman)
>
> I would suggest that the project includes it and that it is launched
> automatically from time to time as a kind of pop-up window (with the
> option "i don't want any notifications in the future" vailable, not to
> annoy people)
>
> Also there should be an easy-to-find docummentation for n00bs (say, an
> icon on the desktop to an internal html page) to explain them what the
> "freedom alternatives" are:
>
> ogg (vorbis/theora)-- mp3, mpg, avi
> odt                      -- doc
>
> etc... you get the idea
>
> and a link to the FSF, so that more people register (and pay)
>
> BTW I am using ubuntu right now and vrms says:
>
> 26 non-free packages, 1.6% of 1634 installed packages.
>
> Bluntly speaking, this is a 1.6% dirty GNU/Linux OS
>
> Shame on IT people of my Institute...

How accurate is vms though?

I've just run it on my installation of gNewSense and this was the result:

=============================
address@hidden:~$ vrms
vrms: ERROR- Badly formed dpkg-status entry #1231!
             pkg=[emacs], pkgstatus=[install ok installed], section=[]
               Non-free packages installed on vostok

ttf-gentium               Gentium TrueType font

  1 non-free packages, 0.1% of 1266 installed packages.

===============================

I've just checked and according to:

http://scripts.sil.org/cms/scripts/page.php?site_id=nrsi&item_id=Gentium

Gentium is released under the  SIL Open Font License, which is fine according
to the FSF.

I don't know what the "Badly formed dpkg-status entry" means for emacs though?
I uninstalled emacs and the message went away, reinstalled and it came back
again.

All new Yahoo! Mail "The new Interface is stunning in its simplicity and ease
of use." - PC Magazine
http://uk.docs.yahoo.com/nowyoucan.html