Re: [gNewSense-users] some ideas

From: jeff
Subject: Re: [gNewSense-users] some ideas
Date: Mon, 06 Nov 2006 13:29:49 -0300

Brian Brazil wrote:
On 11/6/06, Dave Crossland <address@hidden> wrote:
On 06/11/06, jeff <address@hidden> wrote:
> I'll also note that they compile their kernel with this, so they
> don't get blobs:
> CONFIG_PREVENT_FIRMWARE_BUILD=y

Great :-)

Hmm, I'm not sure this will catch everything. I remember a number of
drivers that had config variables of a related nature, but lots that
didn't.

For instance (from the first online Kernel I could find):
http://www.gelato.unsw.edu.au/lxr/source/drivers/net/e100.c (search for UCODE)
http://www.gelato.unsw.edu.au/lxr/source/drivers/net/Kconfig

Well at this point it's getting a bit beyond me as I'm certainly no kernel hacker. But it looks pretty blobbie to me...

If you are going to go through the kernel like that, that's cool. You have one helluva project in front of you. Basically you're forking the linux kernel into a gnu'd linux kernel, as far as I can tell. Do you want to do all the work of a distro on top of that?! ;)

-Jeff