Re: [gNewSense-users] some ideas (about opening files)

From: MJ Ray
Subject: Re: [gNewSense-users] some ideas (about opening files)
Date: Mon, 06 Nov 2006 12:27:58 +0000

address@hidden wrote:
> On Mon, Nov 06, 2006 at 09:12:32AM +0000, MJ Ray wrote:
> > That does not always mean
> > that one is better than the other - they may just do things in different
> > ways and it may frustrate users who knew the legacy proprietary package
> > when they have to relearn.
>
> Arguments about the pandering of non-free software use the reason
> "But what about the users ? Why won't anybody think of the users ?" far too
> often.

People with weak arguments build straw men like "won't anyone please
think of the children^Wusers?" far too often.  Please don't do it.

> Learning can be frustrating at times, but if someone is not willing to make
> that effort
> there may be other distributions better suited for that person.

Is this clear enough?: it is not that relearning is frustrating, but
that unexpected relearning is frustrating.  A list of non-free-software
with free software "equivalents" will probably create a false
expectation that no learning will be needed if you knew the legacy
software listed.  I have tried it a few times in the past and now think
it should be avoided.  Please, learn from my mistakes.

Hope that explains,
Somerset, England. Work/Laborejo: http://www.ttllp.co.uk/
IRC/Jabber/SIP: on request/peteble