Re: [gNewSense-users] some ideas

From: Andreas K. Foerster
Subject: Re: [gNewSense-users] some ideas
Date: Mon, 6 Nov 2006 12:15:21 +0100 (MET)

Am Montag, dem 06. Nov 2006 schrieb Dave Crossland:

> On 06/11/06, jeff <address@hidden> wrote:
> >Dave Crossland wrote:
> >> "The unethical, unsustainable proprietary software in the list below
> >> are often included in GNU+Linux distributions, including the ones that
> >> have a reputation for only including free software like Ubuntu,
> >> Fedora, openSUSE and Debian. gNewSense is proud to be truly 100% Free
> >> Software!"
> >
> >Actually, what is in Fedora that isn't 100% Free Software?
>
> I don't know, I never used it.
>
> I just assume that this is the case because it is not listed on
> http://www.gnu.org/links/links.html#FreeGNULinuxDistributions

I also never actually used it. But I can imagine that the close
relationship to Redhat might be a problem for the FSF.
Everybody knows, that Fedora is "just a stripped down version of the
Redhat distribution", so people who use Fedora might get the
impression that Redhat is actually better for them...

So even if there is no unfree element in Fedora (I don't know)
it is at least implicitly recommending a not so free distribution.

We have to appreciate all the good things Redhat has done for
free software. Yet it is not fully that, what we are aiming for.

--
AKFoerster