[gNewSense-users] Official gNewSense forums?

From: Danijel Orsolic
Subject: [gNewSense-users] Official gNewSense forums?
Date: Sat, 4 Nov 2006 10:23:34 +0100

Hello everyone

First of all congratulations on the 1.0 release. Even though it may need some
more polish at this point I think that the mere idea of having the power of
Ubuntu without freedom compromising software stands to great potential,
especially now that it has full FSF support. I hope and anticipate it will
become quite popular (even though I know that is not the sole purpose).

Because of this I also think that it would be a good idea to have official
gNewSense forums where people can help each other with any issues they have
when running gNewSense. Are there any such forums planned?

If not I would like to contribute.

I have a couple ideas of which one might work, depending on what you think. The
first is to host an official forum for gNewSense at an existing Free Software
support site that I run at http://www.nuxified.org which is a site part of the
Libervis Network where we fully support Free Software and have a policy against
accepting any advertising that promotes nonfree software (just to illustrate
our level of commitment towards promoting Free Software).

The forum would have its own subdomain, even though it would be part of the
site itself. All current registered members there would be able to post in a
gNewSense forum immediately.

Another, slightly more expensive option that I am considering is opening a
completely new forum site dedicated to gNewSense support, under a new domain
name (for example gnewsense-forums.org). It would be akin to ubuntuforums.org
except that it wouldn't run proprietary vBulletin forum software (I'm thinking
Drupal as on Nuxified or phpbb) and of course would be dedicated to gNewSense,
not Ubuntu.

For the second option I am willing to buy initial hosting and domain name
myself as well as serve as an administrator. We can then add some moderators to
help out as the forum grows.

Let me know what you think.

Best regards
Danijel Orsolic