[Gnewsense-dev] newer GNU make for gnewsense/mipsel make-kpkg?

From: Alexandre Oliva
Subject: [Gnewsense-dev] newer GNU make for gnewsense/mipsel make-kpkg?
Date: Wed, 15 May 2019 19:45:05 -0300

Hi,

Linux 5.0 (and thus Linux-libre 5.0-gnu, which is what I'm interested in
:-) brought with it a requirement of a newer GNU make, in that at least
make-kpkg needs that to work.  I worked around that by reverting some of
the patches that broke it.

That got worse in 5.1, and I've just given up on trying to adjust the
top-level Makefile to work.

Not finding a newer GNU make package in the gnewsense4 repos, I went
ahead and built for local use a new version of GNU make on the yeeloong
used for builds, and dropped the Makefile patches I was using or trying
to use for 5.0-gnu and 5.1-gnu builds.

I wonder if we could have newer GNU make packages readily available on
gNewSense, so that others could rebuild the kernel to their liking, or
whether I shouldn't even be using make-kpkg there any more, and I'd be
better off with some other kernel building and packaging machinery I'm
unfamiliar with.  Suggestions are welcome.

Thanks in advance,

--
Alexandre Oliva, freedom fighter  he/him   https://FSFLA.org/blogs/lxo
Be the change, be Free!                 FSF Latin America board member