Re: [Gnewsense-dev] Potential new supporter

From: George Roberge
Subject: Re: [Gnewsense-dev] Potential new supporter
Date: Mon, 24 Mar 2014 19:50:43 -0400

On 03/23/2014 08:32 PM, Felipe López wrote:
Greetings, all.

I visited your site today and joined this list at the recommendation of one of the contributor pages.  My short story is that I have been a Free Software zealot for a few years now, attended LibrePlanet yesterday, and decided that instead of just reading about Free Software issues I might try to help the community.  I downloaded GnewSense today but have not yet installed it on my laptop or desktop PC, but will probably do that this evening.  I am a Debian fan, but not so much an Ubuntu fan, and was excited to see your efforts recognized on the FSF site.

Unfortunately I am not a coder, and may be of limited use to your distribution, but I thought I'd throw myself out here, anyways.  I have some "jack-of-all-trades" and somewhat rusty experience with HTML, PHP, CSS, PostgreSQL, and am studying to shoot for a Linux+ certification.  My strengths are more in my spoken and written English skills and energy level, which may serve everyone better in the advocacy and documentation areas.  I work in a Windows environment, and fairly heavily in Access, but not too much with VBA.

Anyhow, I'll spend some time on your site, install GnewSense on a PC, and see what happens.

Thank you!

Welcome, George!

--
Luis Felipe López Acevedo
http://sirgazil.bitbucket.org/

Greetings again, and thank you.

I did spend some time on the site and Savannah, and created accounts on both.  I'll tell you that looking over the project was a little intimidating (since I'm not a coder), but I did see a few places where I could help out with some of the perhaps more tedious jobs.  There are plenty of teams on the site, and it appears that there's plenty to do.

One thing first: I saw on Savannah that before jumping into asking permission to be added to a project, that the "applicant" should reach the project leader(s) through another means, like the project's mailing list.  So I imagine that this would be the place to talk to someone?  And this may be a dumb question, but given the need for coders, is there honestly a point for a non-coding person at this time?  I don't want to jump in and start doing things that aren't particularly useful to anyone at this point, and have anyone thinking, "Oh, yay, thank you for doing that thing...that really doesn't serve any purpose at this point...."

Silly question maybe, but I have zero experience joining something like this.  I'm a good independent learner, but I'm not familiar with "the system" here.

Thank you again,
George R.

--
George Roberge
www.andforthelamb.org

Computers are like air conditioners: both stop working
when you open Windows.