Re: [Gnewsense-dev] Documenting Release Notes

From: Karl Goetz
Subject: Re: [Gnewsense-dev] Documenting Release Notes
Date: Sat, 31 Aug 2013 09:22:35 +1000

Felipe Lopez <address@hidden> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Just to let you know that I created a page called Release Notes [1].
> There are still no release notes because I couldn't find any in the wiki.

Great initiative :)
Perhaps for the previous releases we can take some notes from the relevant
announcement emails? They should give some idea and will let us populate the
pages with /something/.

> I've found Django's release notes very informative and well organized,
> so I'd like to propose we use something similar. See, for example, the
> release notes for Django 1.5 [2].
>
> I think release notes could help answer questions like the following,
> and others that are asked by people interested in more technical details.
>
>    <comradekingu> http://www.gnewsense.org/Main/Features could this be
> updated with stats from the 3.0?

Good suggestion! (which I see you have done already, thanks.)

>     [11:33] <comradekingu> It would be useful with
> http://libreplanet.org/wiki/List_of_software_that_does_not_respect_the_Free_System_Distribution_Guidelines#$REFbeing
> seperated into what is different from debian
>    [11:33] <comradekingu> we took this, made it into this, doing these
> changes, and this is why that is better

Not convinced its useful for us to do that, but perhaps others disagree? I
definitely wouldn't stop someone doing said list but not sure I would write it
myself.

>    [11:35] <comradekingu> what modules are taken out/how is the kernel
> changed, what is taken out from main. And what packages are now "fixed" in
> main
>     [11:39] <comradekingu> Something a little bit better than this
> http://bzr.savannah.gnu.org/lh/gnewsense/metad/annotate/head:/parkes/blacklist.nonfree
> bzr.savannah.gnu.org/lh/gnewsense/metad/annotate/head:/parkes/blacklist.needsclean
> bzr.savannah.gnu.org/lh/gnewsense/metad/annotate/head:/parkes/blacklist.nonfree

It seems like a lot of duplication to take that same blacklist information out
of bug reports (and the blacklists themselves where applicable) and then put
them in to the wiki. Could we come to some compromise where we try and make
sure bug reports have the relevant details and link to them instead?

> The release notes page is now linked from the download [3] and documentation
> [4]
> pages for people interested in knowing the details about the changes
> introduced with each gNewSense release.
>
> What do you think?

I think it'll be good to have, and definitely something we want to have. When
we get some useful info into the release notes we'll be able to link it in the
topic of irc channels with the download links.
thanks,
kk