Re: [Gnewsense-dev] Organizing wiki documentation by version

From: Karl Goetz
Subject: Re: [Gnewsense-dev] Organizing wiki documentation by version
Date: Sun, 18 Aug 2013 08:55:20 +1000

On Sun Aug 18 07:51:02 2013 Felipe Lopez <address@hidden> wrote:
> 2013/8/17 Karl Goetz <address@hidden>
>
> > On Sat, August 17, 2013 06:28, Felipe Lopez wrote:

> > Continuing to think out loud, I'm
> > wondering if it would be easier/saner to simply have
> > oldstable/stable/dev documentation and pages can be renamed when
> > appropriate. Since there might be good uses for permalinks
> > oldstable/stable/dev could be redirect pages to the relevant release?
> >

> So, for example:
>
> In OldStable page
> #REDIRECT Documentation/2.0
>
> In Stable page
> #REDIRECT Documentation/3.0
>
> In Dev page
> #REDIRECT Documentation/4.0
>
> Right?

Yes, though sam suggests just the major version.

> > > So, What do you think?
> >
> > My main concern is needing to duplicate (potentially) large tracts of
> > documentation across versions where steps are almost identical.
> > What happens in this case?
> >

> Well, I'm thinking like in book publishing, so there will be duplication.

Ok.

> My main concern is that I don't really know if maintaining the proposed
> structure using MoinMoin requires too much manual work. For example,
> I just tried to use the CopyPage [1] action in my local installation of
> MoinMoin

i haven't come accross that before, i will have to look in to it.

> Sometimes I'd like to be a dictator and make the documentation team use
> a DVCS [2], Sphinx [3] and RTD [4] for easier publishing :P Or use DVCS
> and Mallard [5] to have all the documentation integrated in the operating
> system itself (by the way, I gave Sam a documentation template [6]
> written in
> Mallard).

One reason for moinmoin at thed time was it could import and export various
formats which we could integrate with system documentation if desired.

(Over time I have come to think that application documentation belongs in
source control where os doco should go in a wiki or similar. Optionally
exported for packaging and shipping when desired)
Thanks,
kk