Re: [Gnewsense-dev] compiling GNU icecat-9.0.1

From: Sam Geeraerts
Subject: Re: [Gnewsense-dev] compiling GNU icecat-9.0.1
Date: Sat, 02 Jun 2012 19:47:01 +0200

Kai H. Mertens wrote:
Dear Sam Geeraerts,

i apologize for this late reply, but I was not aware of your email until
someone send me this link below some days ago:
<http://web.archiveorange.com/archive/v/Kbe0KiqVZyGHTIL00MaY>

(How can I stay in contact? Would it be enough to subscribe to the
gnewsense-users mailing list?)

When contacting a mailing list it's a good idea to subscribe to it, because most people will send their reply only to the list.

I compiled Icecat-9.0.1 (Icecat-10.0 works as well) with the software
which is in 2.3 except:
1) I used xz-5.0.3 from <tukaani.org/xz/> to unpack the icecat source
tarball
2) I used yasm-1.2.0 from <yasm.tortall.net> for the compiling prozess
(yasm-0.5.0-2 which is in gNS-2.3 is too old)

(It would be great if you could update gNS-2.3 with yasm and xz.)

xz is available in our backports repository.

Backporting yaml requires:
- checking if it builds with software in 2.3 and backporting any dependencies if it doesn't
- checking and possibly porting any patches our current version may have
- checking if all packages that depend on it to run or build still run or build
- packaging it
- keep track of (major) security issues until 2.3's end of life.

Well, if I'd put it in deltah-backports I'd limit it to dependency checking and packaging, but that's still time I'd rather invest in 3.0. Feel free to offer binaries (and sources) of it yourself so that other gNS users can benefit from it.

All other dependecies come with gNS-2.3 and I will provide my
notes&hints in a MiniHowTo on my website, soon. I would love to update
the gNS website and setting up a ppa (as you suggest), as soon as I
figured out how to do that!

Excellent! Thanks for contributing.