Re: [Gnewsense-dev] How can I help?

From: Karl Goetz
Subject: Re: [Gnewsense-dev] How can I help?
Date: Sun, 5 Feb 2012 10:13:37 +1100

On Sat, 4 Feb 2012 05:12:25 +0300
Stayvoid <address@hidden> wrote:

> > Debderiver is a Python wrapper for reprepro. Playing with it is
> > encouraged. Questions and patches are welcome.
> OK. I'll have a look.
> What is the purpose of this wrapper? What features are needed? Do you
> have a to-do list?
>
> "It doesn't:
> * build binary packages from source;
> * patch (and rebuild) on the fly (like gNewSense's Builder);
> * create installer images." [1]
>
> Why didn't you implement these features? What did you mean by "on the

I can't speak for sam, but I suspect its because the scripted mangling
of packages like we used to do can result in some very ugly packages.
If people are involved in preparing the package, its much more likely
to be a change we can forward to upstreams (be it our distribution
upstream or the original project itself).

> fly"? What did you mean by "installer images"?

Installer images being the things people can install gNS from.

[trim logo/website/name stuff]

> > All other parts of the wiki are free to edit/translate by
> > registered users.
> Is it really necessary to use FirstnameLastname as a login? [2]

I don't think its required, unless something has changed recently (sam,
can you confirm?).

> IMO it'll be a good idea to make it available for unregistered users
> too. It worked for Wikipedia.

Been there done that got the spam :)
thanks,
kk