Re: [Gnewsense-dev] binutils which works around loongson2f NOP bug by de

From: Mark H Weaver
Subject: Re: [Gnewsense-dev] binutils which works around loongson2f NOP bug by default
Date: Sat, 10 Apr 2010 10:26:46 -0400

On Sat, Apr 10, 2010 at 08:55:00AM +0930, Karl Goetz wrote:
> > One minor caveat, however: some bare (unfixed) NOPs are still included
> > in the C run-time library which is normally statically linked into
> > executables.  I guess we need to recompile gcc using this version of
> > binutils to take care of that issue.
>
> Rebuilding gcc will only help for statically compiled packages from
> this point though, so it seems like a suitably low priority issue there.

No, I'm not talking about glibc.  I'm talking about

  /lib/ld.so.1
  /usr/lib/crt*.o
  /usr/lib/gcc/mipsel-linux-gnu/4.3/crt*.o

and maybe others, which get statically-linked to most executables,
even "dynamically-linked" ones.  Try "gcc -v -o foo foo.c" where foo.c
is some simple self-contained program, and look at what's getting
linked in.  Try "objdump -d foo" and you'll see bare NOPs in the code
that came from the aforementioned .o files.

We'll need to rebuild gcc and glibc using the new binutils to take
care of all of these issues, before rebuilding other packages.

> > > Fencepost.gnu.org/~mhw/binutils-metad/ offers me a bin, is that
> > > expected?
> >
> > I'm not sure I understand the question, but if you're asking whether I
> > intentionally included mipsel binary packages in that directory, the
> > answer is yes.
>
> If i visit your home via http icecat offers me the chance to download a
> binary file. I have a login on fencepost, so i'll scp them out if i can.

Ha, I didn't realize that my home dir was http-accessible.  Anyway,
no, I did not intend for icecat to offer that, and I'm not sure it
would do the right thing.  In any case, you should probably use scp
for security reasons.

   Thanks,
     Mark