Re: [Gnewsense-dev] problems while upgrading to new network-manager on i

From: Graziano
Subject: Re: [Gnewsense-dev] problems while upgrading to new network-manager on i386
Date: Fri, 05 Feb 2010 19:34:26 +0100

Graziano ha scritto:
> Karl Goetz ha scritto:
>> On Thu, 04 Feb 2010 18:45:48 +0100
>> Graziano <address@hidden> wrote:
>>
>>> Situation:
>>>
>>> gNewSense 3.0 beta 1 on an i386 machine.
>>>
>>> Yesterday it found an update of:
>>>
>>> network-manager and network-manager-gnome.
>>>
>>> When I tried to install them it failed due to unmet dependencies:
>>>
>>> network-manager-gnome: depends: libgtk2.0-0 (>= 2.16.0) but
>>> 2.12.12-1~lenny1 is installed.
>> What bug number is this?
>

> Sorry, not opened a bug yet.
>
> I thought to report it here first.
>

>>> Karl suggested me a fix: download this package:
>>> http://backports.mithril-linux.org/pool/main/g/gtk+2.0/libgtk2.0-0_2.18.3-1~bpo50+1_i386.deb
>>>
>>> I did it but when I tried to install it using dpkg it failed due to
>>> unmet dependencies:
>>>
>>> libgtk2.0-0 depends on  libglib2.0-0
>>>
>>> Samgee helped me and pointed me to:
>>> http://backports.mithril-linux.org/pool/main/g/glib2.0/libglib2.0-0_2.22.2-2~bpo50+1_i386.deb
>>>
>>> So I installed those two debs I downloaded.
>>> Then I tried again to aptitude update and dist-upgrade:
>>>
>>> The following packages have unmet dependencies:
>>>
>>> gtk2-engines-pixbuf: depends on libgtk2.0-0 (= 2.12.12-1~lenny1) but
>>> 2.18.3-1~bpo50+1 is installed
>

>> I don't see this on the list of things to update on my system. Was it
>> downgraded/removed as part of installing the packages above?
>> kk
>

> What do you mean by "this"?
> Which package?
>
> I think it asks me about "gtk2-engines-pixbuf" because I updated
> manually the previous "libgtk2.0-0" and "libglib2.0-0" packages.
>

> So it is:
>
> gnewsense wants to update network-manager and network-manager-gnome.
>

> To update network-manager-gnome it needs a new version of libgtk2.0-0
>

> To update libgtk2.0-0 it needs a new version of libglib2.0-0
>

> But then a package (gtk2-engines-pixbuf) needs the old version of libgtk
>  (2.12.12-1~lenny1) but   2.18.3-1~bpo50+1 is installed  (by me manually
> to fix unmet dependency of network-manager-gnome).
>

> So I think that we need to either
>
> a) switch from network-crap to wicd
>
> b) backport many more packages to fix this :(
>

> Remember I am not a developer, I could be wrong. :)
>

> Thanks for the support.

Ok I managed to solve this, Karl and all.

ON gNewSense 3.0 beta 1 i386
----------------------------

- remove network-manager
aptitude update
aptitude remove network-manager

- install dependency needed by wicd:
aptitude install python-urwid

- download and install the backported wicd:

wget
http://ftp.de.debian.org/backports.org/pool/main/w/wicd/wicd_1.6.2.2-1~bpo50+1_all.deb

dpkg -i wicd_1.6.2.2-1~bpo50+1_all.deb

ON gNewSense metad mipsel
-------------------------

- remove network-manager mipsel:
aptitude update
aptitude remove network-manager

- install dependency needed by wicd (this time it doesn't need the
previous package but only wireless-tools)

aptitude install wireless-tools

- download and install the backported wicd:

wget
http://ftp.de.debian.org/backports.org/pool/main/w/wicd/wicd_1.6.2.2-1~bpo50+1_all.deb

dpkg -i wicd_1.6.2.2-1~bpo50+1_all.deb

Now you have wicd functioning both on i386 and mipsel machines.

I tested wired and wireless connections (even wpa2 encrypted ones).

All works well for me.

Now it's up to you to choose if it's better to insert the backported
wicd on our gnewsense 3.0 beta 1 archive
or to backport the many packages needed to let network-manager function.

--
Graziano Sorbaioli  |  http://sorbaioli.org

LibrePlanet Italia
http://libreplanet.org/index.php/LibrePlanetItalia