Re: [Gnewsense-dev] How do I put another image next to Freedo?

From: Alexandre Oliva
Subject: Re: [Gnewsense-dev] How do I put another image next to Freedo?
Date: Sat, 09 Jan 2010 15:52:12 -0200

On Jan  9, 2010, Alexandre Oliva <address@hidden> wrote:

> On Jan  9, 2010, Richard Stallman <address@hidden> wrote:
>> When booting, it shows an image of Freedo.
>> I want to put an image of a gnu next to it.
>> I need to do this TODAY for the sake of people making a video.

>> Can someone tell me how to install a different image?

> I'm nearly finished rebuilding Linux-libre kernels for gNewSense/mipsel
> using the correct assembler flag to avoid CPU lock-ups, but a rebuild
> should take no [time], because I'm using ccache.

> I'll put the GNU next to Freedo, please give me a call or have someone
> contact me on IRC me if you want something different.

The new splash image is now up at http://linux-libre.fsfla.org/, it's
the top image in the main body of the page.

Here's the kernel that displays that splash image, and that should be
far more stable:

http://linux-libre.fsfla.org/pub/linux-libre/lemote/gnewsense/pool/linux-image-2.6.32.3-libre-lemote_1lxo_mipsel.deb

If you configure it like this in /boot/boot.cfg, it will boot up fast
and the logo will remain for a while.  With an initrd, it gets quickly
overridden.

title gNewSense metad - 32.3 - hda1 - resume
        kernel (wd0,0)/boot/vmlinux-2.6.32.3-libre-lemote
        args console=tty no_auto_cmd root=/dev/hda1 resume=/dev/hda5

Make sure the device name after root= is a device the kernel recognizes,
rather than something like a LABEL= or a UUID= specification, and that
the filesystem is ext3 or ext4, the two built-in filesystem drivers.
Other filesystem types would require an initrd.

I'm now running a 2.6.31.11-libre2 build, and then 2.6.27.43-libre3, but
I'm not sure the latter will be published.  I'm trying to build ec and
rtl8187B into it, but I'm not having much luck getting it to work.

Because earlier builds were missing the assembler flags that avoid CPU
lock-ups, I have removed them.  The patches that can be used to
duplicate each of those builds are available from the SVN repository:
http://fsfla.org/svn/fsfla/software/linux-libre/lemote/gnewsense/tags/