Re: [Gnewsense-dev] Important bug reports

From: Richard Stallman
Subject: Re: [Gnewsense-dev] Important bug reports
Date: Fri, 08 Jan 2010 08:17:40 -0500

    The problem is for making an info file from
    a texi file. When i download gcc texi archive at
    http://gcc.gnu.org/onlinedocs/gcc-4.4.2/docs-sources.tar.gz, i untar it
    and then cd to gcc/gcc/doc, and then run makeinfo gcc.texi. I have
    various errors, most of them are like the following:

    /tmp/gcc/gcc/doc//invoke.texi:171: Unknown command « gol »..

Maybe you are using an old version of Texinfo.
Could you try first installing the latest one?

If this is indeed what's wrong, then we need to package the latest
Texinfo for gNewSense, so people can rebuild this package.

If there is really a double slash in the error message, that is a bug
in makeinfo.  If that bug happens with the latest Texinfo version,
could you please report the bug to address@hidden

    I tried with the smaller gnu.texi file, but have the following errors:

    /tmp/gcc/gcc/doc//gnu.texi:5: `GNU Project' has no Up field (perhaps
    incorrect sectioning?).
    /tmp/gcc/gcc/doc//gnu.texi:5: warning:
    unreferenced node `GNU Project'.

Maybe that file isn't supposed to be used without specifying a flag.
(For the similar file in Emacs, that is the case.)