[Gnewsense-dev] Re: Important bug reports

From: Yavor Doganov
Subject: [Gnewsense-dev] Re: Important bug reports
Date: Wed, 16 Dec 2009 19:19:07 +0200

Daniel Clark wrote:
> Nevermind the last message, I think I was just being silly; can't we
> just copy the GFDL doc packages from Debian's non-free section?

Not all are available, for example GNU Mailutils.  And not all are
always on par with the program version & behavior (the non-free (sic)
docs are either maintained by another person, or the original
maintainer does not consider it a priority to keep them in sync.)

(Example:
$ aptitude show ~nautoconf | egrep '^(Package|Version|Maintainer)' | tail -6
Package: autoconf
Version: 2.65-3
Maintainer: Ben Pfaff <address@hidden>
Package: autoconf-doc
Version: 2.64-2
Maintainer: Russ Allbery <address@hidden>
)

So this is not an ultimate solution.  Ubuntu build some of the
documenation packages from the same source package, but AFAIK this is
only for some packages where the maintainer in Debian/Ubuntu is the
same (e.g. GCC/Binutils).