Re: [Gnewsense-dev] Re: 2.6.32-libre-lemote vs NetworkManager (race cond

From: Alexandre Oliva
Subject: Re: [Gnewsense-dev] Re: 2.6.32-libre-lemote vs NetworkManager (race condition?)
Date: Tue, 15 Dec 2009 04:33:45 -0200

On Dec 15, 2009, Wu Zhangjin <address@hidden> wrote:

>> Good to know. I will try 2.6.32 as soon as possible. If you could put
>> your 2.6.32 source tree / binaries somewhere it would be good to have as
>> a reference "known good" sanity check. I can give you server space
>> somewhere if you don't have some easily available.

> http://dev.lemote.com/files/upload/temp/20091215/linux-2.6.32.1-lemote2f.tar.gz

But that's non-Free Linux, isn't it?

Daniel, you may want to try the (Free) Linux-libre binaries available at
http://linux-libre.fsfla.org/pub/linux-libre/lemote/gnewsense/

The rtl8187b drivers don't require any deblobbing, so they ought to work
just as well as those above.

I've got a 2.6.32.1 build underway, but I seem to be running into
overheating problems on that Yeeloong rms-alpha notebook I borrowed from
the FSF.  It was the first time I tried to do some serious building on
it.  It runs very hot, and then starts failing (networking failures,
oopses, etc).  I can't hear the fan working, that's probably why it
fails.  Was there any history of this kind of failure on it, that you
remember?

I even tried older kernel releases, lest it be some config option I left
out, but that didn't help.  So I'm building 2.6.31.8-libre2-lemote and
2.6.32.1-libre-lemote on the Yeeloong I got from Poder Digital
(thanks!), the one I use as my personal computer, on which I did the
other builds.