Re: [Gnewsense-dev] Firefox listed in Aptitude as new package

From: Tor at Shared Genius
Subject: Re: [Gnewsense-dev] Firefox listed in Aptitude as new package
Date: Tue, 18 Aug 2009 16:49:52 -1000

Karl Goetz wrote:
> On Tue, 18 Aug 2009 13:25:43 -1000
> Tor at Shared Genius <address@hidden> wrote:

>> I have noticed for a while, but not really paid attention, that
>> firefox and firefox-3.0 have both shown up as new packages, along
>> with some supporting packages.  Is this deliberate, a mistake that
>> re-introduced it, or something else?
>>
>> As I have not told Aptitude to forget new packages, I can get you a
>> list of packages fairly easily, but I don't know enough about
>> builder, or have the time right now to learn, to give you a fix.
>>
>> Tor
>
> Firefox is not in the archive, that I can see.
>
> http://archive.gnewsense.org/gnewsense/pool/main/f/
> http://archive.gnewsense.org/gnewsense/pool/universe/f/
> kk

Ah.  I didn't think to check the repository there, and it doesn't exist,
as I proved when I tried to install it.

However, it appears that while the package doesn't exist, the listing
slipped into the DeltaH-security main package list[1].  Seems like if it
doesn't exist then it shouldn't show up in the package manager either.
Probably a low priority issue, though.

Tor

[1] Please note that packages firefox-3.0 and others are also listed,
but not copied here.  Taken from
http://archive.gnewsense.org/gnewsense/dists/deltah-security/main/binary-i386/Packages.gz

Package: firefox
Section: web
Installed-Size: 120
Maintainer: Alexander Sack <address@hidden>
Architecture: all
Source: firefox-3.0
Version: 3.0.13+nobinonly-0ubuntu0.8.04.1
Depends: firefox-3.0
Filename:
pool/main/f/firefox-3.0/firefox_3.0.13+nobinonly-0ubuntu0.8.04.1_all.deb
Size: 66420
MD5sum: 19b5912cd21cfc0eb13e2c4b8c4fbe72
SHA1: cb2b65619fd32efe73e376b375ed62b1f0f86752
SHA256: e31ebcea592fba5d8aa5fbe3f66e1edf80c12c6ad8a68658a5391b3f53e227db
 Firefox 3 is the next major release of the standalone Mozilla browser;
it is
 written in the XUL language and designed to be lightweight and
cross-platform.
 .
 This browser was previously known as Firefox 2, Firebird and Phoenix.
 .
 This is a meta package that will point to the latest firefox package in
ubuntu.
 Don't remove this if you want to receive automatic major version
upgrades for
 this package in future.
Bugs: https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+filebug
Origin: Ubuntu
Task: ubuntu-desktop, edubuntu-desktop, xubuntu-desktop