Re: [Gnewsense-dev] Bug logging in under X

From: Sam Geeraerts
Subject: Re: [Gnewsense-dev] Bug logging in under X
Date: Wed, 12 Aug 2009 22:47:54 +0200

Richard Stallman schreef:
If I log in under X, then switch to a terminal to do work while
the login proceeds, X sometimes crashes.  When that happens, a new
copy of X starts on terminal 8, and terminal 7 remains hosed.

I do not know how reproducible this is -- it is rather a pain to try
to find out.

I've just done some testing on my yeeloong as well as on my i386 laptop. I've been able to reproduce something similar on both. However, it only happened when logging out, not when logging in, so I'm not sure if it's the same issue.

It sometimes happens when I do the following:
1) Boot laptop.
2) Log in with GDM.
3) Log back out of Gnome.
4) Right after I click the button to log out, start switching back and forth between terminal 1 and terminal 7 like crazy.

Result: terminal 7 stays black and GDM is at terminal 9 (never at terminal 8). Repeating steps 2-4 on terminal 9 has about the same chance of terminal 9 staying black and GDM appearing on terminal 10 (I've had it reappear on terminal 7 once). I've not been able to reproduce it on terminal 10 (GDM always comes back to terminal 10).