Re: [Gnewsense-dev] Kernel on Yeeloong and initrd

From: Sam Geeraerts
Subject: Re: [Gnewsense-dev] Kernel on Yeeloong and initrd
Date: Sun, 02 Aug 2009 11:48:40 +0200

Ziro schreef:
Hello,

When I tried to apt-get upgrade the kernel from version
2.6.27.7-libre-10.00.Custom to 2.6.27.7-libre-10.00.Custom on Yeeloong,
the installation script said that version of the kernel does not work
without initrd and I need to install a bootloader.

Currently I run the old version of the kernel on Yeeloong without
initrd although the package provides an initrd, because booting from
PMON via the variable `al' does not seem to support initrd loading (I
cannot use boot.cfg because I made the first partition of the internal
hard disk a swap partition by mistake.)

Does the new kernel really fail to work without initrd?

Thanks,

As you said, the old version also uses initrd. If the old version works, then the new version probably also works. If I recall correctly, the installer also shows this warning. I think you don't get a fancy boot splash without initrd. I don't know if you'd be missing out on anything else.

Why not take a nibble out of your swap partition to set up a small first partition for your boot.cfg?