Re: [Gnewsense-dev] [KERNEL] report on actual bugs

From: aurelien
Subject: Re: [Gnewsense-dev] [KERNEL] report on actual bugs
Date: Sat, 01 Aug 2009 09:06:41 +0200

On sam, 2009-08-01 at 02:26 +0200, crap0101 wrote:
> Hi!
> Here's a report about open bug regarding the kernel:
>
> * (mach64.h) http://bugs.gnewsense.org/Bugs/00212
>
> About the mach64.h bug, there's no news.  I and the fsf licencing team
> have tried to contact ATI, but no answer yet.
> If someone have technical/licence knowledge useful for this, please
> share it :)
>

> * (mroute.h) http://bugs.gnewsense.org/Bugs/00287
>
> Regarding mroute, I wrote also in the linux-libre mailing list, this is
> the A. Oliva answer
> http://www.fsfla.org/pipermail/linux-libre/2009-June/000654.html
> about. Like suggested, I took a look into the mroute package, but like
> said in the bug's page, the fragmentetion make difficult to find the
> lines of code used in the lnux version. This may take some time (I still
> don`t do that).
> More info about this bug:
> https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Licensing#Bad_Licenses
> http://www.mail-archive.com/address@hidden/msg04177.html
>
> * (cfi.h) http://bugs.gnewsense.org/Bugs/00243
>
> mailing the linux-libre list, A. Oliva said that's not a bug:
> http://www.fsfla.org/pipermail/linux-libre/2009-June/000653.html
> what do you think?
>
> Also, I got response for address@hidden They said:
>
> Il giorno mar, 30/06/2009 alle 16.31 -0400, Donald R Robertson III via
> RT ha scritto:
> > Hello,
> >
> > Thanks for bringing this to our attention.
> >
> > > address@hidden - Fri Jun 05 09:06:10 2009]:
> > >
> > > Hi,
> > > I'm Marco.
> > >
> > > checking the Linux Kernel, I've got probably non free file "cfi.h"
> > > located in /include/linux/mtd folder of the kernel's source package.
> > > Is similar to the mach64.h [gnu.org #384122] issue but,
> >
> > In this case it might be a little different. As far as I can
> understand,
> > we have some code that was made available by Intel through that site,
> > and that site actually does include licensing terms for the content
> > being downloaded. Unfortunately the terms are extremely restrictive,
> and
> > are absolutely non-free.
> >
> > Intel has been supportive of free software in the past (they made
> > numerous assignments to the FSF), so it might be possible to get
> > alternate permission to use this code.
> > [...]
>

> Every comment and suggestion is appreciated :)

Just because
> Every comment and suggestion is appreciated :)
And because in the morning i am always hard war thinking, goes
understand why (my reptilian brain which during the night alert me on
the global warming, the swine flu or other !)
        - Ask all coders arround the world to pass there licence under a
free one for all the codes they make (past, present, future). (asking
for something nether hurt any one)
        - Ask all coders, student, computers addict ... to put under
free licence all they make (past, present, future)
        - Informe, propose, DEMONSTRATE in all school, collège,
university, faculty ... the power of the free of the freedom.
        - A real online free shool for all sort of level of pratice
        - Be one not divided as they want you to be.

I'll try to explain this last point of view. If you're coming out from
linux, and you want a real free system (but working system) you looking
for THE DOOR OF THE TEMPLE.
The trouble is that there a lot of good and really very good temple and
many different way of thinking to explain the same thing.

At this time, i am not able to drink, all the sea.
aurelien