Re: [Gnash] Fwd: Question about Gnash

From: John Gilmore
Subject: Re: [Gnash] Fwd: Question about Gnash
Date: Thu, 21 Jan 2010 04:25:39 -0800

> the latest adobe Flash 10.1 installed but some videos, generally the highest
> quality ones such as 1080p and 720p are still very choppy. Will gnash run
> these videos more smoothly?

Generally Gnash's video playback is choppier than Adobe's.  But on
sites where gnash can play the video at all, gnash can also save it on
your hard drive, which the Adobe player provides no way to do.

Video streamed from the network can stutter even if the same video
played from a hard drive would be stutter-free.  "Totem" or "mplayer"
can play videos from your hard drive, if you have the right codecs
installed.  To do this, While gnash is running, pop up gnash's menu
with the right button, pick "Preferences", and set the directory where
media will be saved in future gnash runs.  Then reload the whole web
page, let the video be fully played or cached, then look in that
directory.

Unfortunately, many popular video sites have evolved to need a recent
kind of Flash support that gnash still implements poorly.  We're
working on it, but haven't caught up yet.  Embedded video tends to use
older Flash interfaces and therefore tends to work better in gnash.

        John