[Gnash] Re: Gnash Digest, Vol 13, Issue 4

From: Liam McDermott
Subject: [Gnash] Re: Gnash Digest, Vol 13, Issue 4
Date: Tue, 12 Dec 2006 17:56:01 -0500

From: "Martin Guy" <address@hidden>
Subject: Re: [Gnash] Re: Gnash Video Codecs? (Dave Crossland)
To: "Liam McDermott" <address@hidden>
Cc: address@hidden

'Easy on the "spyware" charges, Martin Guy
Question: is it true? If it is true, it is not libel.
I have no first-hand information, I am simply quoting a well-informed
source who has made technical trials with a net bridge between the
flash-movie-playing box and the internet and discovered that many
flash movies send all sorts of personal information about yourself,
your computer and your viewing habits to various places.
I *presume* that is is the flash movies themselves that perform the...
er.. "market research" functions, not the Adobe player itself. At
least, I hope so!

Is it wise to include the: 'Avoid Flash spyware!' on the Gnash website?
If it is true, yes. If it is false, very unwise.

So would a comparison between the Adobe Flash Player and Gnash--both playing the same file using that same bridge test--prove/disprove the spyware claim?

Does Gnash not allow access to personal information? I can't imagine a player in a *nix environment has any access to private information anyway (including the Adobe Flash Player), but then I am naïve.

Liam.