[Gnash] Gnash CVS build - strange issues on ppc

From: Wojciech Owczarek
Subject: [Gnash] Gnash CVS build - strange issues on ppc
Date: Tue, 19 Sep 2006 21:10:39 +0200

Hi,

I build Gnash from CVS every few days to check how it handles all the
flash things. I build it for myself on two platforms: x86_64 and ppc. On
x86 Gnash behaves OK (this is a Pentium D 2.8 GHz machine, I don't even
see the load rising when I watch websites with Gnash plugin). On my
PowerBook though, I get some nasty artifacts on the screen (like parts
of the flash parts of some website blinking or being moved some pixels
away from their original location, or even directly on top or bottom of
the screen, out of the browser window - only xrefresh helps there, I
found out that happens when I scroll the window's content up/down).
Also, sometimes some elements (not sure if they're bitmap, vector or
text) get strangely scattered. Here is a screenshot of how this looks
like:

http://owczi.net/stuff/gnashppc.png

I also I saw the same problem with Gnash on the ppc machine a few
months ago, but I considered it worth mentioning now after I found out
that it doesn't affect the x86 box. Could this be a matter of endianness
somewhere? (it looked a bit different when launching Macromedia's
binary viever via qemu though) My ppc laptop has a G3 400 MHz cpu, and I
must admit that when Firefox (worse) or Opera (a little better) loads a
page with many flash elements handled by Gnash, load rises so deadly
that the system gets hardly usable. Sad, when compared to the same page
being viewed in Firefox on Windows NT 4.0 on a 166 MHz Pentium MMX. I'd
be glad to do some more Gnash testing on ppc/Linux if you give me some
hints on what to look for. Gnash is a big hope for all of us "exotic
platform" users out there.

And two questions:

- how high in the TODO queue is handling keyboard
input in a Gnash window?
- what about antialiassing? Will Cairo eventually be the default
rendering engine?

Regards,

owczi

--
   [x]--Wojciech---owczi---Owczarek--WO111-RIPE--[_][+]
    |--------- mailto: owczi|at|owczi|dot|net -------|