[Gnash] Gnash in embedded systems

From: Udo Giacomozzi
Subject: [Gnash] Gnash in embedded systems
Date: Tue, 4 Jul 2006 10:16:17 +0200

Hello all,

  I'm new to this list and to Gnash. Unfortunately, I could not yet
  test Gnash itself, but it seems like an exciting piece of software.

  We're developing devices (On Board Terminals) with a 320x240 @ 16
  bit TFT display and it's long time I'm thinking of using Flash for
  the GUI, instead of GTK.

  I thought about buying Flash embedded licences, but it's very hard
  to find information when the hardware is *not* a mass-product (our
  case).

  So I'm thinking about using Gnash instead of the commercial flash
  player. However, there are a few questions:

  How fast is Gnash? The processor is currently a ETRAX100LX (100
  MIPS, no FPU) but we will probably switch to a i386-compatible or
  ARM CPU (200-400 MHz). No 3D hardware acceleration is available
  (OpenGL!?). Animations are not really necessary but alpha blending
  would be nice to have.

  When do you *think* Gnash will get into a somewhat stable phase? As
  long Gnash is implemented well and the "only problem" are missing
  features I think we can live well with it because the GUI is
  specificly designed for Gnash. We would also consider supporting the
  project.

  Does Gnash do anti-aliasing? I tried GameSWF once but the drawing
  quality was relatively poor...

  Can the stand-alone player work without GTK (draw directly to the
  framebuffer, or via DirectFB)? If not, are there plans for that.

  There is much interest in using Flash for embedded devices. I think
  Gnash would be interesting to a lot of people...

Thanks for the info,
Udo