Re: [Gnash] spyware buried in Flash movies

From: strk
Subject: Re: [Gnash] spyware buried in Flash movies
Date: Fri, 27 Jan 2006 09:00:35 +0100

On Fri, Jan 27, 2006 at 08:42:59AM +0100, Nicolas Cannasse wrote:
> Rob Savoye wrote:
> >While watching some debug messages fly by, I noticed this link that
> >luckily was failing: http://mochibot.com. It turns out Mochibot is
> >spyware for Flash movies. When a movie is played, their server is
> >contacted, and they track who and where the movie is being played.
> >
> >Anyway, "elvis" is now clean. Sorry for not noticing earlier. I'll be
> >careful when collecting test cases off the net... I imagine there are
> >other companies embedding this sort of thing into Flash movies, but at
> >least now I know to look for it.
> >
> >    - rob -
>
> It's one of the possibilities of Flash of being able to connect to a
> server and exchange data. You can't really do any serious application
> without that. The difference between Spyware and this website is that
> Spyware works for *everything* you're doing while this website can only
> report you're visiting it (just like any hit counter BTW, or Apache logs
> as well). But it can't know what you're visiting else.
>
> Nicolas

Agreed, external resources loading is good stuff.
Nonetheless, allowing user to disable it is very nice.
Something like domain-based access policy would be excellent.

This would be like cookie managers and image blockers.

--strk;

 | Fight against software patents in EU!  |
 | www.ffii.org www.nosoftwarepatents.org |