Re: [Gnash] gnash FreeBSD ports, problems with firefox plugin

From: Rob Savoye
Subject: Re: [Gnash] gnash FreeBSD ports, problems with firefox plugin
Date: Wed, 18 Jan 2006 11:34:23 -0700

Dmitry Marakasov wrote:

I've just made a port of gansh to FreeBSD. Standalone player seem
to work, but I've encountered some problems with firefox plugin,
and I hope you could help me. The problem is that firefox doesn't
see the plugin, althrough I've tried to place it (libgnash.so) into
firefox' plugin directory. I've tried restarting FF, but the plugin
just won't become listed under about:plugins. ATM I have no idea
on how it can be fixed, as I don't personally use FF and have no
experience on how it's plugins work or are to be installed.

If there are problems with library dependencies, the plugin won't load. Unless you run a development build of Firefox, it just doesn't say anything about their being a problem. To resolve this, I'd look into which libraries aren't present. You may also need to add /usr/local/lib to /etc/ld.so.con and run ldconfig. At least on GNU/Linux that lets Firefox find the libraries. Setting LD_LIBRARY_PATH may also work.

There's another strange fact I've noticed: ldd shows that libgnash.so
depends on libmozsdk.so.0, which is not installed anywhere, (so it
will be deleted after gnash port is build an installed). I also
didn't find this library with mozilla/firefox distribution. Default
FF plugins are linked against libnspr instead.

This is in the gnash/plugin/mozilla-sdk directory, and should be installed with "make install". It's the files one needs to build a plugin without having the FireFox/Mozilla sources around in a fresh build.

By the way, opera does see the plugin (showing it as unnamed though,
but successfully associating it with application/x-shockwave-flash
MIME type). Unfortunately I could not test it under opera, because
there's some problems with opera's motifwrapper which doesn't work
under FreeBSD (someone on my work told me that it can be fixed, so
I may test it after all, on the next week).

Very interesting it works with Opera. That would lead me to think you have the dynamic linker path setup correctly. Is your build of Firefox a GTK2+ one ?

If you are interested, here's list of changes I had to make in gnash
files to make it compile under FreeBSD (some of these may be gnash
bugs as well):

Thanks for the patch, I'll look through these. I'll check them in as long as they don't break anything, which it looks like so far these shouldn't.

* My port installs all docs by itself, because there's an error when
gnome scrollkeeper is not installed. I don't want to add scrollkeeper to
dependencies, and also FreeBSD ports collection has it's own way to
handle .omf files (done so that when building binary package from port
.omf files are still handled in a right way).

I can make the scrollkeeper support optional too. It's used only for GNOME help support, which not everyone runs.

* Finally, I've added a knob whether a user wants firefox plugin to be
installed. As I didn't find a way to tell configure not to build a
plugin while firefox is still installed, I just replace firefox-config
string by firefox-config1 in ./configure. I know that that's an ugly
hack :)

You should be able to pass --disable-plugin to configure to have it not build the plugin.

Though the player is not yet very usable (it had successfully played
none of .swf files I've tried it on), I lay a big hope on this project,
so thank you very much for your work. It would be very cool to finally
have working opensource flash player :)

That's the idea! :-) As more and more web sites move towards the use of Flash content, the free software world needs a player that can work on all platforms.

        - rob -