Re: [Gnash-dev] Any chance of revival?

From: address@hidden
Subject: Re: [Gnash-dev] Any chance of revival?
Date: Sun, 14 Feb 2021 18:07:47 +0100

On Feb 12, 2021 at 18:36, Richard Wilbur wrote:
> On Feb 11, 2021, at 15:58, Petter Reinholdtsen <pere@hungry.com> wrote:
> > [Diego Esaá]
> >> Now that Flash has finally seen its peril, is there any chance of
> >> reviving the Gnash project?
> >
> > I guess it depend on who show up to do the work?  Do you know anyone
> > interested in working on such revival?
>
> Petter, et al,
>
> I am willing to take a look at it.

Great!

> [...]
> Then it seems we’d be ready to address any missing features and still extant
> bugs.

To avoid disappointment and/or fatigue, there probably should be clear goals
documented by whoever works on it. To me it'd be quite useful to have a
supported
gnash for older flash feature levels, because it's already mostly there and I
think
(without proof) there are a lot of old tools and games still in active use that
could profit from a stable platform. But that would still be a lot of
unglamorous
work on details and support tickets. Working on completing support for newer
flash
versions is probably more fun, but there will probably be a lot of mostly
working
things just like now, which is totally fine, but not necessarily obvious to
users.

> Who else is interested in working on this codebase?

I've still got a couple of patches to text formatting lying around. I got stuck
on
adequate test cases (never having used flash as an author I'm probably missing
a lot)
and my time is severly limited, but I'm still interested in working a bit on it.

I might also be willing to donate money to people working on features important
to me.

Regards,

Jürgen