Re: [Gnash-dev] Using style to keep consistent indentation in Gnash sour

From: John Gilmore
Subject: Re: [Gnash-dev] Using style to keep consistent indentation in Gnash source?
Date: Wed, 07 May 2014 00:43:57 -0700

> Can astyle be used without reformatting everything?  If not, perhaps
> we should do it anyway to get consistent formatting and easier to read
> code?

Please don't.

Fix a bug!  Add a feature!  Improve the documentation.  Port it to a
different environment.  Reduce its CPU usage.  Make another start at
running modern Flash 10+ bytecodes.  We'd love your contributions...

But just reformatting the source code is not a contribution.  It makes
the program worse.  Among other reasons, because it breaks every diff
or patch that has to get applied across the time of the reformatting.

I'm sorry if it isn't formatted to your favorite style.  Or even if
every part of gnash is not formatted to its *own* documented style.
If you want to put your energy into picking nits out of gnash, please
find a real bug and fix it.  There are many reported.

Please don't mess with the formatting of a section of code unless you
are actually rewriting that chunk of code.

Thank you.

        John Gilmore