Re: [Gnash-dev] Property case and AVM2

From: strk
Subject: Re: [Gnash-dev] Property case and AVM2
Date: Sat, 3 Jul 2010 14:24:40 +0200

On Sat, Jul 03, 2010 at 11:17:47AM +0200, Benjamin Wolsey wrote:

> Because the whole caboodle adds about 10 minutes onto compilation time
> (on a fast machine!), adds useless data all over the place, increases
> startup time and memory footprint, increases executable size, slows
> everything down, makes optimization and improvements to AVM1 difficult,
> and blocks a real implementation of AVM2. I propose to drop all the
> stubs, to remove all AVM2 code from as_object and the properties, not to
> add AVM2 by default, and not to expect any passes in the AVM2 tests. The
> AVM2 code in libcore/abc would stay, as it's not completely wrong.
>
> Anyone else for this?

I agree on kill any AVM2 code in Gnash.
We'd better restart from scratch for doing it properly.

The testsuite is a pity to drop (might be useful for
other projects or even for gnash in the future),
but not worth running as part of 'make check'
Actually, it'd be nice to see lightspark using and
improving that testsuite (maybe to branch somewhere else).