Re: [Gnash-dev] Liteweight Flash

From: Rob Savoye
Subject: Re: [Gnash-dev] Liteweight Flash
Date: Wed, 24 Dec 2008 13:49:48 -0700

Peter Carlson wrote:

> 1. Approximately how small can gnash be compiled down to?

 At one point, Gnash was easily under a meg, but I know right now it's
not as many features have been added. However it wouldn't be that hard
to shrink Gnash back down, and it was on my TODO list for this winter.
That is to make many of the possibly optional things not be compiled in,
including none of the ActionScript classes that aren't used. if your
system is using dynamic libraries, like the OLPC does, the executable
image is small, it's all the dependent libraries that takes up room.

 This would mostly be configuration hacking, #ifdef'ing things out of
gnash that are built by default, like you wouldn't need any media
handling support at all.

> 2. We started to look at flash-lite but can't find any sources for it.
> 3. Any other recommendations for a super lite flash player?

  Gnash. :-)

        - rob -