[Gnash-dev] Compiler options for maximum performance

From: xiando
Subject: [Gnash-dev] Compiler options for maximum performance
Date: Sun, 21 Dec 2008 04:32:43 +0100

What configure options are ideal for getting maximum performance / usability out of gnash at this point in time?

I compile using Gentoo Linux (gnash-cvs). I personally found that this worked OK:

0.8.5_p20081028[gnash-cvs](06:43:16 18-12-2008)(X agg doc ffmpeg gtk neon nsplugin speex -cairo -cygnal -fb -gnome -gstreamer -kde -opengl -parallel -sdl -video_cards_i810)

I also found that USE="opengl" made it totally useless and utterly slow. This was how I compiled it the first time I tried it. Research on http://www.scroogle.org/cgi-bin/nbbw.cgi?Gw=gnash+100+cpu turned up messages like http://www.mail-archive.com/address@hidden/msg01445.html which indicated that opengl is a horrible choice while agg involvement makes it usable. Average Joe may try opengl, conclude that gnash sux0rs and submit to the Adobe corporation and it's flash license.

What recommendations do the gnash guru gang have on configuring/compiling gnash when building it for major distributions and/or just personal use for Average Joe?

Thank you for reading all of this. Sorry for wasting valuable development time. Have a nice day.

xiando.