Re: [Gnash-dev] Playing SWF files with RTMP-flv-playback interacting wit

From: Dhananjoy Chutia
Subject: Re: [Gnash-dev] Playing SWF files with RTMP-flv-playback interacting with Adobe Flash Media Server 3
Date: Wed, 16 Jul 2008 10:51:19 +0530

Hi Rob,

Thanks for the quick response. and i appreciate the effort put in by folks like you and others @ GNASH project, in providing an open souce alternative to Adobe Flash Player.

So does that mean there is no RTMP support in GNASH yet.
But i do see some RTMP (rtmp.cpp + rtmp.h) files under "libnet" folder.
Are these not used by GNASH at all ?

Also, i am trying to understand how GNASH handles FLV playback. I have put down my findings here, please let me know if these are correct.

1. GNASH supports FLV Playback using GST + FFMPEG
2. Does it hand over the URL directly to GST ? No input stream handling in GNASH
3. If 2 is true, then why do we need libnet/rtmp implemented in GNASH ?
4. Also i read some where that libCURL has been modified to support RTMP and later the support has been moved in to GNASH.

http://curl.haxx.se/mail/tracker-2008-03/0012.html
http://www.gnu.org/software/gnash/manual/doxygen/classgnash_1_1RTMPproto.html

As there are a lot of contradicting, probably outdated documents out there .. i am confused on how RTMP / FLV PLAYBACK is / will work ?

Thanks