Re: [Gnash-dev] Is SDL needed for libmad or ffmpeg? And what about GTK a

From: Rob Savoye
Subject: Re: [Gnash-dev] Is SDL needed for libmad or ffmpeg? And what about GTK and renderers?
Date: Sun, 09 Dec 2007 09:08:37 -0700

Jeremy C. Reed wrote:

The README says GTK (GtkGlExt) and FLTK2 are alternatives to SDL. And suggests GTK version is better due to full event handling.

THe README is old, but yes, the FLTK2 or GTK2 support is much better than the SDL "GUI" support. We still use SDL for handling multimedia files.

Also README says cairo is an renderer option. But later it says it is required when using GTK. So are opengl and agg only options when not using GTK?

We use GTK2 cause it's a much better GUI toolkit than SDL. All GUI front ends to Gnash cna be mixed with the rendering backend, so you can mix GTK with GL using GTKGLEXT (a popular combination for Gnash), or GTK with AGG, which is what most device ports uses.

        - rob -