Re: [Gnash-dev] "Todd Kelsey": simple flash/gnash game - xoroids

From: Todd Kelsey
Subject: Re: [Gnash-dev] "Todd Kelsey": simple flash/gnash game - xoroids
Date: Wed, 14 Nov 2007 00:10:07 -0000

zachus -- so what you could do is just send the .fla file for xoroids and xoinvaders -- what the friendlies are doing is developing a 100% open source version of flash -- technically you can install flash in linux, but it is a "black box" -- you can't see inside the code, as adobe won't release it; so these folks are working on getting a non-proprietary player working, where they completely know the code (ex: so that there aren't nasty security surprises as there have been with flash in some cases)

so sending the .fla would help them to take a look under the hood and see what is causing gnash to break -- so if you feel ok passing along, cool.

On Nov 13, 2007 5:38 PM, John Gilmore < address@hidden> wrote:
> Not sure where Zach turned up the basic source code for it. He might need a
> bit of an explanation for some of the terms -- if you don't have the time,
> do you know someone who might be willing to help him understand the issues?
> Not sure of the licensing either.
>
> (Zach, could you go back and make a list of the urls/locations of where you
> got the basis of the code for the asteroids thing, and then the space
> invaders thing? I'll help you to make a wiki page -- then we can figure out

Hi Zachus,

For debugging gnash, we don't need to know who wrote the code -- we just
need a copy of the Flash source code for the program, to understand what
the author thought they were doing, and why gnash isn't making that
happen.

(For shipping it on the OLPC, the copyrights would have to be well
understood, but that's not our issue right now.)

       John Gilmore

--
Todd Kelsey

Good Green Fun: http://www.cftw.com/xoroids/

Willy Wonka Wonderful! - http://wiki.laptop.org/go/Image:StartOfMP.jpg

Love Poem for people of Middle East: http://welcome.cftw.com

Tour of laptop | http://wiki.laptop.org/go/608-demo-notes

About Me/CFTW | http://docs.google.com/Doc?docid=dhbxftbn_35f5b46b&hl=en"> http://docs.google.com/Doc?docid=dhbxftbn_35f5b46b&hl=en

Loving the World | http://docs.google.com/Doc?id=dhbxftbn_36cx4kj7

"Fascinating for me to sit here and realize the interplay and influence that music can have -- it is a part of my life, yet I haven't continued as I could, partly out of thinking "there are more important things". but it has it's place. i am sitting at olpc offices, and someone is playing pink floyd, and I think music is a gift of creativity that can inspire an atmosphere of creativity, and the range of such echoes is infinite." - Me

Free tunes by me: http://www.cftw.com/music