Re: [Gnash-dev] Platform independent implementation of Gnash?

From: Bastiaan Jacques
Subject: Re: [Gnash-dev] Platform independent implementation of Gnash?
Date: Tue, 25 Sep 2007 04:02:34 +0200 (CEST)

On Tue, 25 Sep 2007, Dieter Krachtus wrote:

Hi,

I wonder if it would be possible in theory to get a Gnash port to Java? Java supports OpenGL very well (e.g. via Jogl) and already has a plugin for most Browsers. There will be soon a new improved Consumer JRE with improved performance compareable to Flash. I think Java would be the perfect basis - at least in theory. Not only that Java is Open Source but with one implementation one would then directly target all OS Windows/Linux/OSX/Solaris and all major browsers like IE/Firefox/Safari, etc.

What do you think?

The fact that a Java application or applet requires a Java installation would
stop a lot of people from even considering using such a Flash player. Now that
Java SDK has become free software, perhaps that will change in time.

That said, we have already achieved the portability you've mentioned. So there
will be little incentive to consider rewriting Gnash in Java.

(What's a "consumer JRE"?)

Bastiaan