[Gnash-dev] Re: [Gnash-commit] gnash ChangeLog gui/NullGui.cpp

From: Rob Savoye
Subject: [Gnash-dev] Re: [Gnash-commit] gnash ChangeLog gui/NullGui.cpp
Date: Thu, 12 Jul 2007 11:01:23 -0600

Martin Guy wrote:

> So unless we reimplement date.cpp the hard way to get rid of ftime,
> gettimeofday and their allies, we're still stuck with the old-school
> time/date code anyway, which defeats the point of using the boost
> version - you just end up with yet another different way of doing time
> inside Gnash.

  Well, it would have been nice if when the Date code was added to have
used boost... Developers need to see what boost supports before writing
their own code to do something. Writing our own code is ok if boost adds
performance problems, or doesn't offer the right functionality.

> On a separate issue, might it be more appropriate to maintain cygnal
> as a separate program (cvs co cygnal from the gnash repository) rather
> than bundling it with the flash player? It's not as if they have much

  The plan is to move Cygnal into it's own SVN repository, etc... It
does share code with Gnash, and ultimately will need support for server
side ActionScript. Cygnal will likely be the first program to use the
Gnash libraries and headers as an SDK kind of thing. We're setting up
the servers for Cygnal development right now, so this will hopefully
happen later this month.

        - rob -