[Gnash-dev] Ever-growing number of libgnash*-cvs200* in cvs tree and ins

From: Martin Guy
Subject: [Gnash-dev] Ever-growing number of libgnash*-cvs200* in cvs tree and install dirs
Date: Thu, 5 Jul 2007 15:42:38 +0100

Hi
 There is some *bad-tempered) discussion in the bugtracker
https://savannah.gnu.org/bugs/?20235
from Anonymous about the fact that if you work on gnash cvs you get an
ever-growing number of libgnash*-cvs200* files in your source
directory.

This is parallel to a similar niggle of my own about an ever-growing
number of libgnash*-cvs* files getting installed in the system library
directory if you make install several times over a period of time.
It's harmless apart from the wasted disk space and messiness.

It turns out the AM_INIT_AUTOMAKE(gnash, cvs$BUILDDATE) call we are
using is obsolete
(http://www.delorie.com/gnu/docs/automake/automake_24.html search
AM_INIT_AUTOMAKE) and the recommended one would just pick up "cvs"
from AC_INIT(gnash,cvs) as the version for library file name appendage
and installation, solving all these problems. I've tried this, it
works fine.

Rob says we "wouldn't want to pick up the wrong version of the libraries" but
"make install" installs the executables and libraries at the same
time. So does anyone know of a pressing practical advantage in having
dozens of daily cvs library versions lying around in the cvs build dir
and installed the system library dir?