Re: [Gnash-dev] non-conformance to HTTP standards

From: Eric Hughes
Subject: Re: [Gnash-dev] non-conformance to HTTP standards
Date: Thu, 17 May 2007 08:09:30 -0600

At 04:46 AM 5/17/2007, Martin Guy wrote:
I've found what I consider something completely harebrained in the HTTP/1.1 standard, so I decided to violate it.

That's a pretty bad principle to start from...

I didn't start there.  I ended up there.

Forgive me, I'm having trouble understanding the issue.

It's entirely syntax. It has nothing to do with either semantics (what it means) or pragmatics (what it does).

Sorry, I don't understand what you mean. Are you saying that cygnal
did act on these before, but now, in accordance with the standard,
does not?

It didn't do much either way before. I am writing a proper parser for HTTP protocols, which includes an HTTP Request line, which I am writing to accept a grammar larger than the spec calls for. Strictly speaking, that's a standards violation.

This point deserve a clarification. I'm not generating anything to standard. I am accepting something not to standard, and therefore possibly masking a standards violation by some other piece of software.

As far as I know, everything after the ? is server-side-software
dependent and can be interpreted by a cgi script or what have you; is
part of the cygnal spec that it responds to such URL extensions
automatically?

I'm not addressing what any stuff after "?" means; that's a semantic issue. I'm not address what Cygnal does with any stuff after "?"; that's a pragmatic issue. I'm only concerned at present with the fact that a "?" is there; that's the syntactic issue. The existence of a query (which starts with "?") itself is the point. The standard is not written in such a way that you can plunk down a query after an otherwise-valid URI. Go figure.

Eric