[Gnash-dev] performance and blocking I/O

From: Eric Hughes
Subject: [Gnash-dev] performance and blocking I/O
Date: Fri, 04 May 2007 11:53:40 -0600

At 10:44 AM 5/4/2007, strk wrote:
I've tried mapping youtube.com to localhost and providing RMS.flv as get_video.
CPU usage is at most 15% with this setup, so the problem is *definitely*
in loading/decoding process.

I can't help very specifically yet, since I'm deep in cygnal code. I can say that I threw out network.cpp entirely because I couldn't figure out how to do asynchronous I/O using it with less work than writing from scratch. And furthermore I don't know enough about the details of your profiling to have an assurance that I really know what I'm talking about here. Thus take the following advice _cum grano salis_.

Have you all specifically measured how much time is spent within blocking reads? The issue is CPU-time vs. real-time, that is, how much time is spent doing reads vs. how much time waiting for them to complete. Reading the comment above, it struck me that this might be the difference.

If it is, I'd recommended fixing this _after_ the next release point. I'm doing single-threaded, asynchronous and non-blocking I/O in the server. We can reuse the same I/O library and scheduling discipline in the client as well, but my code isn't mature enough to even start this elsewhere in the code yet.

Eric