Re: [Gnash-dev] Cairo

From: Breght
Subject: Re: [Gnash-dev] Cairo
Date: Wed, 16 Aug 2006 14:58:13 +0200

Hi Tomas,

nice to get such a quick reply. I agree with you on the redesigning part. It might even be possible to remove the direct OpenGL rendering directly and do that through Cairo/Glitz, although I can't tell what the implications would be on say, performance, nor what motivations there would be to keep the direct OpenGL binding (maybe 3D renderings?). Let's see what the others have to say?

--Breght

On 8/16/06, Tomas Groth <address@hidden> wrote:
hi Breght,

[..snip..]

> We are therefore interested in using Cairo (possibly with some adaptations
> for embedded devices - but that we will have to investigate later on) and a
> Cairo-enabled Gnash. We are willing to put effort in helping designing and
> implementing the Cairo-enabled version of Gnash. I am interested in your
> opinions regarding the approach to take in this process - i.e. you may
> regard this mail as an invitation for a discussion ;-).

It's great to hear that you're interested in using and improving gnash! It
would be great if gnash could be made to run on a 266 MHz device.

Currently gnash is very focused on using OpenGL, and some redesigning will be
involved in making a effective cairo (or any other) backend. As I've mentioned
earlier; IMHO it would be a good idea to to make the backends such that we pass
entire figures (squares, beizer-curves, etc.) to the backend, and then let the
backend deal with it. That way the triangulation would only take place when
using the OpenGl backend, and other backends could do their own magic. I know
this is a very loose description of an implementation, but we have to start
somewhere...

cheers,

Tomas