[Gnash-dev] Hi, introducing me...

From: Jon Steinhart
Subject: [Gnash-dev] Hi, introducing me...
Date: Mon, 14 Aug 2006 11:08:27 -0700

Hi, I'm Jon Steinhart and it sounds like I'm going to be doing a bit of work on
this project.

I've been working on music/photo/video metadata related stuff that has sucked
Rob in, so he's returning the favor and sucking me into the gnash project.

I've done all sorts of stuff over the years, including being a graphics person.
So one of my interests is in a better 2D back-end.  I also have a connection to
a graphics professor in the computer science department at Oregon State
University who is interested in having some of his students work on this for
their senior projects.

I know almost nothing about flash, and am one of those believers that it's good
to know what I'm doing before actually trying to do it.  As a result, I've been
scanning all of the documentation that I can find.  Since this documentation
isn't very complete, I have a lot of questions.  As part of trying to answer
them
I'm writing a more complete document.  If it's OK with the rest of you, I'd like
to ask random dumb questions on occasion.

For example, here's a question on the graphics model.  Where are the pixels
relative to the grid lines?  On the lines or between the lines?  In other words,
if I draw a solid filled shape from (0,0) to (0,1) to (1,1) to (1,0) back to
(0,0)
does it draw the one twip enclosed by the square or the four twips, one at each
corner of the square?

Another dumb seeming question.  The file header includes a frame size and it's
a rectangle as opposed to just a width and height.  What happens if the min-x
and/or min-y elements of that rectangle are non-zero?

Was talking to Rob last week about frame timing and he didn't seem to know how
make it work.  I notice that there is a frame rate field in the file header.
Seems
to me that that value should be used for the wait-for-frame timer.  Also, if a
timer tick is missed for some reason then some frame information should be
tossed.

That's all for now.

Jon

P.S.    I have a pretty vicious spam filter here so it may bounce your email.
I do
        check my logs pretty regularly so I will see your mail and add your
address
        to white list.