[Gnash-dev] library `/usr/lib/libXcursor.la

From: Kevin Griffin
Subject: [Gnash-dev] library `/usr/lib/libXcursor.la
Date: Mon, 08 May 2006 09:41:21 -0700

libtool dies in gnash/backend with:
libtool: link: cannot find the library `/usr/lib/libXcursor.la' or unhandled
argument `/usr/lib/libXcursor.la'

To the best of my knowledge, the .la file should be used with some care,
because it can be done badly.

http://lists.debian.org/debian-lint-maint/2005/03/msg00049.html

Aditionally,this specific file (libXcursor.la)is no longer shipped in Debian
(at least in Sid).

from http://lists.debian.org/debian-devel-announce/2006/04/msg00010.html:

4) Not actually tied to the Xorg transition, but overlapping it, the
libxrender-dev and libxcursor-dev packages have stopped shipping their
libtool .la files.  This is a reasonable change to make since these packages
ship pkg-config .pc files that can be used to query all the needed
information much more effectively, but it means all -dev packages for all
libraries that transitively depend on libxcursor or libxrender have to be
rebuilt to know about this removal (which is part of what makes removing
them a good idea!).  These rebuilds are in process, with binNMUs where
possible, but a number of these packages are unfortunately not binNMU-safe,
or require sourceful updates because...

I assume we need libxcursor for something. Maybe I'm not seeing an obvious
workaround. Has anyone else run into this partcular issue?

Thanks!

Kevin

--
   \ Kevin Griffin      System Administrator                \
- (o)"my first name"(at)cavewallarts.com  Cave Wall Arts   (o)